What is gear motor? This is a question that may occur to most of you. It seems like a simple question. In fact, it is not.
Gear motor, also known as gear reduction motor, refers to the integration of gearbox and motor. It is often assembled by reducer manufacturers and supplied as a set including motor and gearhead. Gear motors have different types and uses owing to different gearbox structures, diameter specifications and power supply. ZHAOWEI Drive always strives to develop, design and manufacture micro precision gear motors. Here is a detailed introduction on what is gear motor.
Chapter 1: Micro Gear Motor
Gear Motor Working Principle
The gear motor greatly reduces the speed by passing the power of the motor through the gearbox, thereby increasing the output torque of the gear motor to meet the needs of mechanical equipment. When the output speed of the motor is input from the drive shaft, the small gear rotates and drives the large gear to move. The large gear is larger than the small one, but the speed of the former is slower than that of the latter. It is output by the shaft (output shaft) of the large gear and used as output deceleration.
This power transmission equipment uses different stages of transmission to increase torque and reduce speed, which is composed of gear pairs in different stages of transmission. It is generally used in low-speed and high-torque transmission device, which realizes the purpose of reduction by passing the high-speed operating power through the gear meshing between the gears with fewer teeth on the input shaft of the reducer and large gears on the output shaft. There are several pairs of gears in general gear motors that can achieve the ideal reduction effect with the same working principle. The gear ratio of two gears is the ratio of the number of teeth of the larger gear to the number of teeth of the smaller gear.
The gear motor is a power transmission mechanism that uses a gear speed converter to decelerate the number of revolutions of an electric motor (motor) to a desired number of revolutions and obtain a large torque. In the current transmission power and motion mechanism, micro gear motor functions in a wide range of applications.
According to the working principle, how can the motor be called micro, mini or miniature motor? We take mini DC motor as an example, it generally means that the DC motor can operate by being powered by only a few volts and very low current.
A Rough Classification of Micro Gear Motor:
Classified by gear types: coaxial helical gear motors, planetary gear motors, parallel shaft-helical gear motors, bevel gear-helical gear motors, worm-bevel gear motors;
Classified by the type of drive motor: DC gear motor with mini DC motor, geared stepper motor, coreless gear motor, gear motor, etc.;
Classified by the power: high-power geared motor, low-power geared motor.
Three Main Functions of Gear Motor
- Reduce the speed: The required motor speed can be achieved by passing the motor power through the gearbox. This is often referred to as the output speed.
- Increase the torque: Under the same power condition, the slower the output speed is, the higher the torque is, and vice versa.
- Alter the drive direction: For example, the bevel gear motor can transmit torque at 90°.
Chapter 2: Main Member in Micro Gear Motor Family- DC Gear Motor
DC Gear Motor Applications
DC gear motor often refers to the integration of mini DC motor and micro gearbox. ZHAOWEI provides the mini DC motor series with customizable parameters covering from 3.4mm to 45mm. Its applications vary based on the power supply.
* High-power gear motors are widely used in the food industry, electric machinery, construction machinery, metallurgical machinery, cement machinery, environmental protection machinery, electronic appliances, road construction machinery, water conservancy machinery, chemical machinery, mining machinery, conveying machinery, building materials machinery, rubber machinery, petroleum machinery, etc.
* Low-power geared motors are widely used in smart homes, electronic products, smart automobiles, robots, automatic industrial equipment, mechanical and electrical products, home appliances, office equipment, smart wearable devices, etc.
Customizable DC gear motor series are available at https://www.zwgearbox.com/customisation-motor-drive.