A small DC motor refers to a rotating motor whose output or input is DC electric energy, also called a micro DC motor. It is the earliest invention of a device that can convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. It can be traced back to the dish-type motor invented by Faraday.
How Does A Small DC Motor Work?
Small DC motor is composed of a rotor and a stator. The stator is generally placed on the outside of the motor while the rotor on the inside. DC current will power the rotor with coil windings and the stator will include magnet source which is either permanent magnets or electromagnetic windings. When the motor is powered by DC current, a magnetic field is created within the stator, attracting and repelling the magnets on the rotor. This will drive the rotor to rotate.
In order to keep the rotor rotating, the motor is equipped with a commutator. When the rotor is aligned with the magnetic field, it will stop rotating, but in this case, the commutator will reverse the current through the stator, thereby reversing the magnetic field. In this way, the rotor can keep rotating.
The Characteristics of Small DC Motor
- The efficiency of the smallDC motor is generally higher than that of other types of motors. To achieve the same output power, the volume of the DC motor is generally smaller. Small DC motors are relatively suitable for limited spaces.
- The smallDC motor has a feature that the motor can automatically reduce the speed according to the size of the load to achieve a great starting torque. AC motors are more difficult to realize it. In addition, the DC motor is easier to absorb sudden changes in the load size, and the motor speed can automatically adapt to the load size.
For better understanding of the small DC motor, some examples will be demonstrated below.
Small 1.5 volt DC Motor
ZHAOWEI 3.4mm DC motor is a small 1.5volt DC motor, whose parameters are as follows:
- Rated Voltage: 1.5-5V
- No Load Speed: Customize
- No Load Current: 110 mA
- Rated Load Speed: 2.4-300 rpm
- Rated Load Current: 220 mA
Use Case of Small 1.5volt DC Motor
ZHAOWEI gear motor for e-cigarette adopts a small 1.5volt DC motor with a 3.4MM planetary gearbox. ZHAOWEI creatively adds the micro-lifting device to the design of the electronic cigarette. When the user uses it, he only needs to press the power button. When the atomizing device base of e-cigarettes rotates out, the concealed cigarette mouthpiece is automatically raised. When the electronic cigarette liquid storage device rotates in the opposite direction with respect to the atomizing device base, the concealed cigarette mouthpiece automatically moves downward to be hidden in the mouthpiece cover. It realizes the electronic cigarette bomb lifting mechanism in a limited space.
Small 9 volt DC Motors
ZHAOWEI 12mm DC motor is one of small 9 volt DC motors, whose parameters are as follows:
- Rated Voltage: 3-24V
No Load Speed: 7-2381 rpm
3. No Load Current: 70-80 mA
4. Rated Load Speed: 5-1525 rpm
5. Rated Load Current: 255-260 mA
Use Case of Small 9 volt DC Motor
ZHAOWEI gear motor for fascia gun has small size and high torque, enabling the user to operate it by one hand. In addition, the planetary structure makes it possible for two-stage, three-stage, four-stage transmission changes. Therefore, the fascia gun can adjust multiple speed at low noise.
Small 24v DC Motor
ZHAOWEI 38mm DC motor is a small 24v DC motors, whose parameters are as follows:
- Rated Voltage: 3-24 V
No Load Speed: 3-1,386 rpm
3. No Load Current: 315-335 mA
4. Rated Load Speed: 3-1,294 rpm
5. Rated Load Current: 1,679-1,684 mA
Use Case of Small 24v DC Motor
ZHAOWEI uses a 38mm DC motor with a customized worm gearbox to realize the adjustment of elliptical pedal and meet the drive demand of small volume and large torque. The motion track of the elliptical trainer was transformed into an ellipse by adjusting the angle of the gearbox’s tilting pedal,which will reduce the joint pressure of the user during exercise and avoid knee injury.
After detailed introduction to the small DC motor, you may have a basic understanding already. Last but not least, you should have a glimpse of the advantages and disadvantages of the micro DC motor:
- The electric potential waveform of the micro DC motoris better, and it is less affected by electromagnetic interference.
- The small DC motor has a wide range of speed regulation and smooth speed regulation characteristics.
- The DC motor has a strong overload capacity and a large starting and braking torque.
- Due to the presence of the commutator, its manufacturing is complicated and the cost is high.